The Man Masked In Shadows | Teen Ink

The Man Masked In Shadows

By Anna-Sully GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
Anna-Sully GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

I was running.

I couldn’t remember how long, couldn’t remember what it was like to not be gasping for air, desperate for my lungs to feel full. Weeks, months, hell maybe even years blended together as my legs carried me along, desperate to get away, numb and cold, but yet still fighting, just as they always did.

I turned a sharp corner, too sharp. My legs finally gave out and I fell to the ground, hissing as I brought my knee close to my chest, examining the damage. It wasn’t too bad, just a little scrape. Pull yourself together, I couldn’t help but think as my side ached and phantom hands squeezed my shoulders, pushing as hard as they could, trying to pull me back into the past. I opened my eyes.

“Pull yourself together,” I grumbled as I struggled to my feet, “You’ve been through worse.”

But when I turned around, bracing myself for the long trek once again, I found someone in my way, tall and hidden by the shadows of the alleyway, their dark coat masking their figure, their hat obscuring their face from view.

“Hey,” I said roughly, panting, “Let me through.” I tried to push forward, but the person wouldn’t budge. I felt so small against them. I almost laughed, feeling suddenly like a child lost from their mother. “Please. I can’t let them catch up to me. Please just let me go.”

I begged. I was begging. When had I become so weak?

And the figure outstretched a gloved hand, and said in a cool, deep voice, “Come with me boy, and you won’t have to run anymore.”

And I stood there for a moment, staring with wide eyes, unable to look away. Like staring into the sun. “Who are you?”

“A friend,” he answered. “It’s your decision. I don’t have much time.”

I looked at his gloved hand, then back down the alley. I worried at my bottom lip, turned back to the man. I wanted to scream. To push past him and keep running, to never stop running ever again. Why had I complained? But cold hands migrated up my back, making their way around my neck, tightening. My vision grew spotty. No, not now… Anything but now…

“Okay,” I said a bit too loudly, gasping for breath as my eyes flew open and I looked around, but there was no one else there, no one else except the masked stranger. I nodded again as if to reassure myself.

When had I become so weak?

I looked up at him, attempting to get a look at his face, certain I could make out the corner of his lips. “Okay,” I said, nodding, “Okay.”

The corner of his mouth quirked into a smile. I took his hand. “Follow me.”

And he pulled me into the shadows.