Edge of the Abyss | Teen Ink

Edge of the Abyss

November 2, 2018
By bellan18 SILVER, Woodridge, Illinois
bellan18 SILVER, Woodridge, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Being successful takes dedication, a passion, and a little bit of talent.


We lived in our own little world. A peaceful, quiet bubble, where the birds would sing on tall trees, and rivers that stretched to the edge of the earth. Our little cottage was all we had, and we had precious little to live on. My father was a simple woodcutter and when my father was at work, I had my little brother, Hansel. Although we had little food and money, I had my brother and my father, and that is all I need.

One night, as Hansel and I were asleep, my father came home from town with an unfamiliar face. She was short, small, and had a big pearl necklace around her slender neck. She had long, soft hair the color of honey, and had eyes that matched it. Why is such a beautiful person in the middle of the woods? My father’s deep voice interrupted my thoughts. Carefully, my father said, “Hansel, Gretel, meet my wife Aria.” A Wife? A WIFE! Our family is peaceful! His wife cannot just barge in on our cottage! I gave a forceful smile to Aria and Father. He knew I was unhappy. Aria let a monotone, “Hello children,” from her thin lips. I headed to the bedroom and whispered to Hansel, “I have a bad feeling about this.” Hansel responded, “I like her.”

As he fixed the sheets that night, my father explained why everything was so sudden. “Food is scarce, and I knew I couldn’t support my family on selling wood. I married to Aria because she comes from a rich family. She doesn't like kids, but we need this. Do you understand?” I let out a simple, “Yes, Father.”

The next morning, Aria led Father, Hansel, and I to an unknown area of the forest. She claimed that the wood was stronger, and would sell for more money. We followed her quietly while father worked on chopping wood. I heard the sound of Father’s chops fade in the distance as we traveled closer to the edge of the forest.  In this part of the forest, the birds did not sing and the trees lost all their leaves. I held Hansel’s hand the whole time and told him that we were going to be okay. She led us to a clearing where she told us to make a fire and to wait there until Father retrieved us. “He knows the path,” she said.

We waited for what seemed like days. I was so tired, but I was hopeful that Father would come. He would never betray us. Hansel had already fallen asleep on my lap. “Hansel. Hansel! Wake up!” We venture into the black hole of forest.

We followed the trail back, hoping to meet my father along the way. Suddenly, the smell of sweets overwhelmed us. Believing the only house in this forest was ours, I followed it. Maybe Aria was making cookies. I walked blindly, following my one hope of freedom. I turned a corner and there I see it: a house you have never seen before. The house was covered in decadent frosting, sweet sprinkles, and soft warm cake. How could this be? Surely no one could live on a house made of desserts! This house was the most food I had seen in a lifetime. Without thinking, I dove headfirst into the delicious candy. Hansel’s eyes were wide with lust. He bit off a piece of roof cake, but when I tried to take a piece of window sugar, a voice called from inside and the candy door flew open. “What’s this, ”  sang from inside the house. It came from a very large and tall old lady, with a big nose and stiff hair like straw.

“I’m very sorry, ma’am,” I said, frightened, “we’re just so hungry and the house-”

“Don’t worry, dear. Here, come inside! I just made a fresh batch of cupcakes.”

We ate as if we have never eaten before. We had cookies the size of pancakes, lollipops with gum inside, and cupcakes that were topped off with the most perfect cherry known to man. I had never seen Hansel so happy in my life, so I continued eating. The last thing I remembered was laughing with Hansel, and then everything went black.

I jolted awake. I was in a bed. What happened? Hansel. Where is Hansel? I searched everywhere along the house, until I entered a room where the woman- no, not woman, witch, that had Hansel trapped in a cage. Before the witch could say or do anything, I ran. I grabbed a loaf of bread before I bolted out the sugar coated door. But I didn’t forget about Hansel. I would come for him once I had a plan. My mind chanted “Hansel” like a song. I ran until the edge of the woods, leaving breadcrumbs along my path so I could find the candy house. I looked back and turned around, then fell to the ground. I looked up and there stood a tall man, with green, flaky skin, wearing a brown robe that fell to the ground. “Why hello there, little girl,” cooed the man. I have to get to Hansel. I said nothing.  “Let’s cut the the chase- I want the witch dead. The only way that can happen is with magic.” Magic? “I-I don’t understand,” I stammered. “I can teach you a spell, one that will defeat the witch. You must do it for me- she put a protection spell around her house that keeps me out.” I asked the man for his name and he adjusted his posture and replied, “Rumplestiltskin.”

He taught me the spell and helped me perfect it. It is so unbelievable that white, glowing strands of light can come from my hands. Then, I realized the consequences of magic. “Will I- will I take her life”, I stuttered.  The man let out a solemn nod. Hansel. Hansel. I have to get back to Hansel. Then, I realized what I could do with magic. Our family would never go hungry again. I knew what I had to do.

I followed my bread crumbs back to the cottage. I walked with such confidence, and the door flew open just with the flick of my wrist. Out of breath, I run in the kitchen and see the most terrible sight- I was too late. Hansel. Hansel. My brother’s bones lie next to the witch’s feet. Anger floods my body and I don’t know whether to scream or cry. The witch comes after me too, but I was quicker. Fuming with rage, I flung the oven open, which released warm air into the room. I push my hand out, and the witch flies backwards, into the oven. I close the hell box without magic. I hear muffled screams and I look at my shaking hands. Then, I look at the bones of my brother, and run.

I run, crying, pushing away any branches in my way. How could I have done this? I run until I see a ominous figure standing in the clearing. I say, “It has been done, Rumple,” then start to bolt. I have no interest in speaking with anyone. Despite my attempt to avoid the creature, he calls after me. “Dearie! Before you go, answer me this: how did it feel?”

“I’d never kill anyone on purpose. My brother-”

“That’s not what I asked! How did it feel, to use magic?”

“That doesn’t matter, I’ll never use it again.”

“Why not?”

I take a deep breath.

“Because I loved it.”


The author's comments:

Inspired by Hansel and Gretel. Enjoy!