Toxic | Teen Ink

Toxic

November 2, 2018
By bellan18 SILVER, Woodridge, Illinois
bellan18 SILVER, Woodridge, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Being successful takes dedication, a passion, and a little bit of talent.


The sun shone against the black, cloudless sky, like it was fighting a battle. The moon and darkness fought against the sun back to put it in its rightful place, but proved unsuccessful. The sun and moon reflected on the ocean, which looked like glass in the bright night. The moon shone sulkily, defeated in the battle. It was odd- but it was the most normal you’ll see in Wonderland.

I walked with Walrus along the shore of the beach, enjoying the cool breeze and sand. Walrus was a funny man- he had a sense of humor like no one else. He always dressed like a businessman, and had a large mustache. However, he loved money and food more than anything else. After a long day at work, we decided to take a walk on the beach. My eyes welled up with tears of joy- the sand was so beautiful. There was an infinite amount of sand- I could never forget that sight. I took in the breathtaking sight of the waves rolling over the golden sand. The sound of crashing waves was interrupted by my friend’s voice. “If only this sand were cleared away, this place would be grand! If we mopped it up for about half a year, do you think we can clear it?” “I doubt it,” I reply, and suddenly, my tears of joy turned bitter.

“Oh! But how lovely the night is! The air is crisp and the water is cool,” Walrus exclaimed. We saw a group of oysters beside a rock on the shore. “Oh Oysters, come and enjoy the night! We’ll have a pleasant walk and we shall discuss the meaning of life along the beach.” Wow, I thought, he is quite kind today. The oysters filed in a line, faces washed, clean shoes, and wearing brushed coats. It was odd- but it was the most normal you’ll see in Wonderland.

We walked along the beach with the oysters and looked over at Walrus- he had a smirk on his face. Why? “My legs are awfully tired, Walrus.” So we rested on a rock that was close to the arroaching sea. Breaking the silence, Walrus said, “The time has come, my little ones to talk of many things. Like shoes, books, cabbages, or kings.” I could see the Oysters looked very tired from our walk, so I fetched them some bread with pepper and vinegar.

“We shall begin to feed!” Walrus announced. Jokingly, the oysters said, “But not on us!” Walrus roared with laughter. He turned to me and asked if I enjoyed the view. I did not respond to Walrus, and asked for another slice of bread. If he didn’t think I was on to him then he is quite the fool. We have enough food here, surely he wouldn’t need more. “Oh come on! Do you think I would play them such a trick after they walked all this way?” I said nothing. I couldn’t trust him now. To my surprise, Walrus started weeping. Large tears poured out of his eyes, and he went to go reach for a hankerchief to catch them. Maybe he is  telling the truth! He wouldn’t hurt those little oysters. Besides, he invited them on this walk!

When the banquet was over and the table was cleared and the oysters were tired and ready to rest. “Oh Oysters! Shall we be walking home again?” But there was no answer.


The author's comments:

I wrote this based off of one of my favorite childhood stories: Alice in Wonderland.