Ferris State University | Teen Ink

Ferris State University

February 9, 2010
By BrandiRacquel BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
BrandiRacquel BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The purpose in life is not the seek happiness but to know that when you are gone you have made a difference."


Big Rapids, MI: Ferris State University has partnered with many different community colleges to make it easier for you to get your education close to home. They also offer online classes and programs so that you can get your career booming from your own home. Ferris State University was founded in 1884 and has been improving and booming ever since. Today it is the 9th largest campus in Michigan with 13,865 students.

Ferris State has been working to make the world one better place. They say that some people want to live greener and others want to live healthier. But one thing we all agree on is that we want a “better” life. They want this for everyone. They have 17 different locations, their main campus being in Big Rapids. In order to make it healthier and safer they have created a tobacco-free campus.

It started out small, but it keeps continuing to grow. It started out with less than 1,000 students and only 20 acres. Today it has grown to 880 acres and contains over 13,000 students and 115 different buildings.

Off campus there are many things to do. It is within easy walking distance to downtown Big Rapids. In downtown Big Rapids there are many restaurants, shops, a movie theater, and art gallery and even a park. Bikers, hikers, and even skaters have easy access to the White Pine Trail, which is Michigan’s longest “rails to trails” project.

There are many things to do on and off campus and many different locations and things to study. Ferris makes it easy. It is a college that my family has been attending and that I hope to attend in the near future. For more information, visit http://www.ferris.edu/.