Suffering Now to Live Better Later | Teen Ink

Suffering Now to Live Better Later

By wolftera GOLD, Sacramento, California
wolftera GOLD, Sacramento, California

"I hated every minute of training but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." - Muhammed Ali.

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” Muhammed Ali says. I’m Tera, a student a high school student, a cadet for NJROTC, a dancer, athlete, and I also enjoy singing. With all the goals I want to achieve within the things I do, it teaches me how to suffer now and you’ll be great later. Once I’m done with school, I want to play guitar and sing. Therefore, I’m an over-achiever and very different in a good way because I was born that way.

Music matters to me because it speaks to me differently. When artists rap or sing, it’s like their sending me a message or speaking directly to me. Rap, Hip Hop, 90s, Chill, and Reggae all speak to me like it’s a different language. The artist that I connect with the most is Kendrick Lamar. I’ve been a big fan of him since 2011. I connect with Kendrick the most because when he raps about himself or stuff going around him, he goes into complete detail. It’s almost as if he’s only speaking to you and nobody else.

I feel like I compare myself to a wolf because of their actions. Wolves are normally lonely and definitely strong. I can relate to that because I find myself lonely. I don’t mind it too much because I can work better alone but I can also work stronger in a group just as long as they don’t slack off of their work. This matters to me a lot because I can’t relate to any other animal as much as I can with wolves. I also relate to being strong because no matter what battle I’m facing, I always make it out alive though, I also make it through stronger and better.

I call myself an over-achiever because I always look for harder challenges for myself and end up achieving them. I always push myself to do better. I do that because if I slack off or cheat things, my dreams won’t be going that far. Besides, hard work beats talent. Later on, all of that hard work will definitely pay off, cheating your work won’t.

In conclusion, I want to see myself progress into being successful and hope to inspire others around me. Not only that but in the future, I want to see how far I have come and what obstacles I have faced. Right now, I am ready to face on my challenges, no matter how hard they get.

This is my first attempt at a college essay.  I want to go UCLA.