Why You and JU? | Teen Ink

Why You and JU?

By AlwaysInBeastMode GOLD, Suitland, Maryland
AlwaysInBeastMode GOLD, Suitland, Maryland

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

I remember when I walked into my Practicallaw class, I had approached my teacher to ask her, Can I go to Honor Guard at 2:45PM.? My teacher had told me I wouldn’t get an education due to me wanting to leave class to put down the American  flag. I fell in love with ROTC when my sister was in ROTC and I saw the uniform she wore.  People tell me what path I will be going in due to the mistakes I’ve made. My cumulative gpa isn’t a 3.5 or 3.0 although it could be if I had stayed focus. But, I don’t let a GPA define who I am as a person however, when the counselors look at me after a while  looked at my GPA they tell me I can do better if I applied myself in class. Every since I was a little girl I remember me telling my mom how I wanted to become a meteorologist. When I was 14 years -old I told my mom I changed my mind I was planning on being a dancer. Since my passion was writing I was considering to turn it into a career. However, I kept changing my mind from time to time. I tried to seek the answer to the question that I’ve heard, what are you going to do in life? As I was thinking I tried to answer this question as honest as I can but then I realize I wasn’t being honest with myself. Through self evaluation I realize my career goal is to become a clinical psychologist and study at Jacksonville University.

Jacksonville University has one of the premier clinical psychologist program.  I would like to attend Jacksonville University because of their Army ROTC program. Furthermore, what I have researched Jacksonville University challenges their students in ways we wouldn’t challenge ourselves. The professors develop relationships with their students and guide them in a path that will make them successful in life, would not leave their students to question whether they aren’t wasting their time to pursue their career, and allow them to hold  their degree with dignity and knowing that they worked hard to received their degree. In fact, I remember when I was online researching which colleges were best for me. I ask myself what am I looking for in a college? If I were to attend Jacksonville University what would I contribute? When people meet me they see a girl who have potential but is afraid of being an outcast. Additionally, when I don’t follow a crowd I tend to draw some attention to myself due to me not following the crowd. Some of the things that attracted me to Jacksonville University. For instance, Jacksonville Army ROTC program, I want to go into the Army as an officer. Due to me wanting to accomplish my goals I feel as though Jacksonville University would allow me to reach my ultimate goal as a clinical psychologist. 
I have a list of goals that I want to accomplish in life before I go. People tell me I overcame so many obstacles. I may have got a little bruise here and there but at least I’m still in one piece. As I look back on the things I’ve done I realize I had been placed through all these situations to see how I can handle them. When guest speaker gave my class advice from time to time I came to my senses when I started being honest with myself. However, my doors started opening when I started being honest with myself, I started closing the doors I already had open, and allowing myself to release all this pain and if I could somehow use my pain and my hurt as motivation then I would have my 3.0 or 3.4 Cumulative GPA. My back been against the wall and when I’m put out of my comfort zone and I lose confidence. Because of my previous career thoughts I would have never thought I would see myself as a clinical psychologist. To expand it I realize I wanted to become a clinical psychologist because I’ve been placed in so many situations, those situations made me become open-minded. I’m social, I can relate to others and if I can’t relate to that person I will put myself in their shoes and see it from their perspective. I was never a good student, although some might say otherwise. Every since people told me what path I’m going down I quickly had to change it. Somehow I turned my failure into success because I realize nobody is perfect and we all makes mistakes, if we don’t make mistakes we won’t be successful in life.

My friends ask me to describe myself in one word, I can describe myself with multiple words and not just one. The one word that stands out to me the most is beast. This is the word that describes me the most because I’ve been disappointing my family my entire life so It’s time for me to stand up and leave all that drama, all that disrespectfulness and all that blame it on everybody but myself stuff. Every since I experience a lot of different things I became  hungry,  determine,  driven, motivated, I learned to never take no for an answer, whatever I want I get it. That’s what set me off from other people because I believe in living your dream every single day it doesn’t matter how old you are or what grade you in. I believe you have 24 hours in a day and however you spend your time that’s on you but if you want to leave a legacy and if you want to leave a mark on the world before it’s your time to go, you got to be driven, you got to humble yourself. For instance, you can’t be on your grind Monday and Tuesday and then take a break Wednesday and Thursday. You got to grind everyday because while you playing around I’m working, while you sleeping I’m working, while you eating, I’m working. No one will ever out work me. I’m always in beast mode because I’m living my dream every single day when I want to give up I remember why I started doing what I’m doing and that’s what drive me.  As a matter of fact my the reason why I do what I do is because I have a why.

In conclusion, I have chosen to apply to Jacksonville University I realize that Ja`cksonville is the perfect university for me. A college is ultimately as good as the students who attend, and as a well-rounded student who excels academically, socially, and in  extracurricular activities, I feel that I will add to and learn from Jacksonville and its flourishing environment.I truly believe that I will fulfill my potential by attending the Jacksonville University.