The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

April 9, 2015
By princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois
princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois
10 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You choose your own destiny" :)


Common Application Question: Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

 

As I sit at my desk contemplating what makes me "me" my mind seems to revert to many different moments, maybe even instances that have somehow meshed together to ultimately form me. But one thing is for sure, all those pivotal moments in the formation of my character would not have occurred if It wasn't for the foundation my parents laid. Growing up my parents did their best to mesh both of my worlds: Mexico and America. I grew up listening to both Jesse MCcartney and Banda de Montez on the radio, eating pizza while drinking horchata, and speaking a beautiful mix of English and Spanish otherwise known as Spanglish. As much as my parents tried to mix both cultures, there was always a silent pressure in my household. Being born to an immigrant father and a first generation mother came with an added weight placed on my shoulders, it was up to me to validate that all of their sacrifices thus far have been worth it. That pressure has stemmed from a belief amongst immigrants: they will not achieve the American Dream. They will work twice as hard as anyone else and hopefully be able to give their child a shot at the American Dream. I am not only my parents daughter, I am their shot, their possibly,at the American dream.


This pressure was silent it was rarely spoken of, but it was definitely seen. It was apparent when I saw my parents struggle to make ends meet. It was evident when I rarely saw my dad because of his long work hours at the construction sight. And it was definitely seen when we'd drive by beautiful houses and my parents would smile and say, "you can have a house like that someday", knowing that they could never attain that house on their own.


When I was younger, I did everything to get my parents one step closer to attaining the dream. When I was six, I aspired to be a ballerina-doctor who also happens to be the President of the United States. Outrageous? Of course. But it isn't until now that I realized how unintentionally it was constructed to make my parents proud. A ballerina came with fame and recognition, a doctor came with financial stability and respect, and being President came with power and success. Anything less than perfect was not acceptable in my mind.


Somewhere along the line, the road to success became rocky and uncertain. Throughout the years I have developed an uneasy relationship with math. It has consisted of misunderstandings, failures, and upright struggles. My relationship has affected my entire family. It isn't as simple as "Math and I just don't get along",math is a constant reminder of my failures throughout my high school career. I have seen my GPA, along with my parents dreams crumble before me. But if there is anything my parents have instilled in me "las ganas" (the drive), to push forward no matter my struggle. I have taken the time to slowly repair my relationship with math. No "broken" relationship fixes overnight but by taking the time to take an extra math course over the summer and essentially dusting up my math skills, I am on the track to rebuilding my once broken relationship with math. With determination and a lot of "ganas"(drive) instilled in me, I am ready to take on the world (and math).


There is no bigger honor than having your parents believe that you are capable of achieving anything. Recently, I have realized how profoundly I was shaped by my environment. My family had helped me become confident, hardworking,appreciative and independent. With mine and my parents dreams at hand I am ready to make both come true. Perhaps, if I am accepted to ______, the letter should be addressed both to me and my family,because my success is also theirs.