Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

By MaKayla Alexander BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MaKayla Alexander BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I sat on the examination table in that small room, with nothing but white walls and chairs where my parents sat. The doctor did his usual routine and left again to review my CAT scan. I waited as I felt my heart pounding. The tall, wide-eyed man, walked in and bore news no athlete would ever want to hear: “Finish this high school season according to pain, but then you’ll be shut down for 10 weeks.”

This could not be happening. I had practiced daily for months. Take it easy for the rest of the season? That is not me.

In seventh grade, I landed a tumbling pass in a hyper-extended position. There was numbness from my hips down. My parents and coach said the usual: “Walk it off and you will be fine.” So I played basketball, volleyball, and track throughout middle school with minimal pain. I decided to try triple jump my freshman year, but this made my pain so unbearable where I couldn't walk. I soon discovered that I fractured my lumbar four which is the second to last vertebra.

The doctor said wearing a back brace would speed up my healing process. Thoughts raced like a freight train. How could I survive going to school with a huge piece of plastic hugging me? But it was my only option besides surgery, and I had to get through this.

During the following days, I explained it to my coaches, team, and friends. No more sprints...jumping...or even carrying my own backpack. Once that season ended, there was no physical activity for ten weeks. That’s not too bad. I can do this.

My club volleyball team still accepted me, knowing I would be a practice player towards the end of their seven- month season. Those long winter weeks passed by slowly with daily outfits of: leggings, over-sized sweatshirts, scarves, and Uggs. That’s all that would fit. The brace covered my abdomen and back completely down to my lower butt. People joked about my “rock hard abs” and how I could not bend over to pick up a dropped pencil. Receiving stares from strangers and sitting out at each practice, was difficult. As each player improved their skills, I watched and went to every practice and tournament to cheer on my team. I learned from listening to my coach work with the other defensive players and watching the game. Deep down there was spark and that was my motivation.

Ten weeks, 70 days, and 1,680 hours later, that small spark turned into a wildfire. And I came back with a positive and determined mind set. A few shanked passes or missed serves were not going to frustrate me. Physical therapy and strengthening exercises allowed me to come back stronger and confident. My skills continued me on to nationals with my club team and then made the Varsity Volleyball team.

Through my injury, I developed the skill of believing in myself, no matter the circumstance.