For My Future | Teen Ink

For My Future

By Jamie W. BRONZE, Argyle, Texas
Jamie W. BRONZE, Argyle, Texas

To properly answer this college essay, I would like to bring the attention toward my parents. I blame them for an array of things—a lovely home, a college prep education, delicious food, and a sister that drives me insane—but the worst? A love for travelling. Thanks to my parents, the travelling bug has latched onto me. Now I have visited the doctor’s office numerous times and they could have all the aspirin or needles in the world, but they will not have a remedy for the travelling bug. Draw a tube of my blood and under the microscope doctors will see miniature airplanes and passports mixed in with the plasma, red blood cells, and white blood cells. At this point in my life, I can only embrace my love of travelling and keep it in my future plans.

Whenever asked the dreaded question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” my normally hyper active brain can only think of chirping cricket noises. On the other hand, when asked about my lifetime goals in general, the answer comes naturally to me. Travelling! My one definite bucket list, slash dream goal, would be to journey to all seven continents (and this is with only Antarctica left). The way I see it, the world is endlessly fascinating and I want to be out there exploring it.

In today’s world, there are plenty of career opportunities that are on a global level. I could be doing business in Japan or marketing in Spain. For myself, I will probably decide on a mathematical or science major. Although this may sound a bit nerdy, science museums always interested me. Lately, aquatic science, nature, and just biology in general have captured my attention. Fortunately for me, I had the opportunity to partake in a school science trip to Costa Rica. One of the activities scheduled was to study the leatherback sea turtles and even search for their eggs to protect from poachers in the middle of the night. Academically, to look further into the subject, I have enrolled in AP Biology for my senior year and hope to participate in the Science Bowl and Science Olympiad for the first time (Never too late to try something new, right?). Although I may have found a future goal late in the year, it is never too late to start working toward it.
Would I be okay with boating around the stunning Great Barrier Reef in Australia or researching leatherback sea turtles in gorgeous Costa Rica as a marine biologist? Most definitely, more than okay, even just travelling around the coast of the United States would be a dream. As long as I am up and voyaging across this earth, I am set.