Unconventionally Me | Teen Ink

Unconventionally Me

November 9, 2012
By SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong.  They are conflicts between two rights.  ~Georg Hegel


Did you know that my family's oven broke and that now we cook all our meals over a campfire in our backyard? Actually, that isn't true, but my friend Rachel believed it. What is true is that I prefer to do things the "old-fashioned" way, even though I'm planning to go into a field highly involved with technology. Sometimes my preferred way of doing things may seem tedious or archaic, but before I buy the next big thing, I ask myself, "Is this really necessary?" and more often than not, it isn't. I'm not trying to resist technology; I'm trying to limit myself so that when I do use it, it is more meaningful. I get disproportionately excited when I'm with a friend and she lets me use her smart phone (instead of my humble flip phone) or if we watch a movie on Netflix. I live to experience things, even if it takes a little more time or effort. This shows up in many aspects of my life. I'd rather write in cursive than type on a computer, and when finding a new address, I prefer getting lost over using a GPS. In the kitchen, I'd rather bake from scratch and feel my arm muscles burn while using a mixing fork, not an electric mixer. Although I'll always advocate that less is more, I believe balance is key – I've bought a letter jacket, wear makeup, and have a Facebook, all truly unnecessary things. I suppose it all comes down to what makes me happy. For some, that may be a brand new car with a GPS inside, but for others like myself, all we need is some firewood and an empty backyard.


The author's comments:
I submitted this to a college in response to the prompt "What about you would contribute to the diversity of our university?"