Unconventionally Me | Teen Ink

Unconventionally Me

By SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
SometimesTina GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota

Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong.  They are conflicts between two rights.  ~Georg Hegel

Did you know that my family's oven broke and that now we cook all our meals over a campfire in our backyard? Actually, that isn't true, but my friend Rachel believed it. What is true is that I prefer to do things the "old-fashioned" way, even though I'm planning to go into a field highly involved with technology. Sometimes my preferred way of doing things may seem tedious or archaic, but before I buy the next big thing, I ask myself, "Is this really necessary?" and more often than not, it isn't. I'm not trying to resist technology; I'm trying to limit myself so that when I do use it, it is more meaningful. I get disproportionately excited when I'm with a friend and she lets me use her smart phone (instead of my humble flip phone) or if we watch a movie on Netflix. I live to experience things, even if it takes a little more time or effort. This shows up in many aspects of my life. I'd rather write in cursive than type on a computer, and when finding a new address, I prefer getting lost over using a GPS. In the kitchen, I'd rather bake from scratch and feel my arm muscles burn while using a mixing fork, not an electric mixer. Although I'll always advocate that less is more, I believe balance is key – I've bought a letter jacket, wear makeup, and have a Facebook, all truly unnecessary things. I suppose it all comes down to what makes me happy. For some, that may be a brand new car with a GPS inside, but for others like myself, all we need is some firewood and an empty backyard.

I submitted this to a college in response to the prompt "What about you would contribute to the diversity of our university?"