Fighting Fear | Teen Ink

Fighting Fear

There are so many things in life that you can be afraid of. Don’t let fear determine your happiness. I believe in fighting fear.
Life has held troubled times for my family. My mom has been sick with an illness called Lyme Disease for 5 years. This illness impacted my family a great deal. Whether it was a stroke and being in the hospital for my mom or lack of attention and not being able to spend time with my mom. To contribute to this heinous situation, my dad was diagnosed with heart disease. About a week after my mom experienced another traumatic occurrence, my dad had a heart attack. Dealing with one parent in the hospital after another was extremely tough. Every night I would lay in my bed in utter fear of my parents. I couldn’t bear to think about what it would be like not being able to hug or kiss them. I am always the type of kid to help and give, to have this happen to my parents, and not being able to do anything about it was immensely frustrating for me.
I've never been the kind to ever let my feelings show. I thought that being strong meant never letting tears run from your eyes. Being able to talk with my brothers and just let it all out was the best treatment for me. My family helped me to understand what had happened and to overcome my fear. I no longer have a pessimistic attitude, which was essential to defeat my anxiety towards my mom and dad.
When you overcome your fears your life is going to be much more enjoyable and happy. Being able to live my life without being so worried is the best feeling in the world. At my families dark end of the road, just a single ray of hope lighted the way. Fighting your fears is one of the most important lessons in life you will learn.