Breakfast | Teen Ink

Breakfast

October 10, 2007
By Anonymous

Having breakfast every morning is more important than having a personal relationship with God. This is the way I used to think.
My first two years of high school I would make sure I had time to eat breakfast every morning, but I never made time for God. I never prayed, read the bible or asked Him for help with anything. I had taken my nine years of Christian education and exchanged it for what the world had to offer. For the first time in my life I had no Christian influences except for my parents, and even they couldn’t make much of an impact on me because I refused to talk to them about important things. I searched for other activities like swearing, music, and a girlfriend.
I thought I had it all figured out, but one summer it all ended. I had a group of friends I liked hanging out with but the problem was that everyone in that group had decided to date someone in that group leaving no one single. The girls in this group were all friends with each other before so when I decided that the relationship with my girlfriend wasn’t working out everyone in that group sympathized for my ex-girlfriend. The group decided it was too awkward for me to hang around with the group and since she was always with the group I was left with no friends.
Yet God didn't turn on me and laugh, saying this is what I deserved. I began to talk to my parents about my life and what I was going through. I told my best friend what had gone on and how he could help. I attending an evening church service called the Altar at Westbrook and their Wednesday night youth group. For the first time in high school, I had someone I could go to with problems that I was going through. Talking with my best friend about a problem I had and, along with other things like praying and reading the Bible, helped me get over my sin and bring me closer and deeper with God. This stirred up my heart for God and brought me a peace like I had known before high school. I realized that although God allows us to live freely a life without Him involved in our lives is not one worth living. He wants us to have an intimate relationship with him and making time for him is something that will strengthen this relationship.