home life | Teen Ink

home life

By alixandria hahn SILVER, North Lake, Wisconsin
alixandria hahn SILVER, North Lake, Wisconsin

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

Strike one... strike two...it's hit... HOME RUN!

It was my first home run in my 11 year softball career. In the beginning of that game, I got injured. The first two batters line drived me, one in my left shin, and one in my right ankle. Yet, I still continued with the game. That year, I had no choice. I was the only pitcher, so I had to come through for my team. This is how life was for my freshman and sophomore years-- softball and taking care of my little brother.
After softball was over I’d come home and begin to make dinner. While dinner was cooking, I told my brother to get his homework out. We did do it together. Then dinner time. Then clean up. Then do my own homework. It was the same fast paced routine for two years.
“Ali!” my boss yelled into my face as I walked in the door, “you’re late!”
“I know, and I’m really sorry I…”
My manager was known for cutting people off while they’re talking. “Well don’t let it happen again. I have a list of things here that I’d like you to do today.”
“Ok what if I don’t get it done?”
“Then stay after they need to be done for tomorrow. So get started!”

Work. Not fun at all. I hated my job my junior year. I worked 25 hours a week while still in school. My boss was not the type of boss I would have chosen to work for and it seemed like I always had the most work to do because I was the only girl in my department. Most of my friends had jobs to but their paychecks went towards things like iPods, clothes, and anything else normal teenagers would want. But, my paychecks went towards groceries, electric bills, and rent. All my friends had shiny new cars their parents bought them, and I had a car that wouldn’t start half the time. My paycheck was spent before I had gone to pick it up. I had way more responsibility than any of my friends did and it sucked. My freshman and sophomore years were fun with softball and friends, but I am thankful I had to grow up because it was a reality check.

i am so grateful for everything i have been through in my life. if i wouldn't have gone through the things i did i wonder who i would be today.