Taking the Hard Road | Teen Ink

Taking the Hard Road

November 25, 2009
By Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
26 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Explaining what my parents do for a living is not the easiest. No, they aren’t school teachers or police officers or even the typical dad goes to work at the office while mom stays home with the kids and the apron. That would be too easy. So when the question arises, “what do your parents do for a living?” I answer with a usual shrug and sigh: “They are professional ballroom dancers.”

It was the Fourth of July and my family was over celebrating and enjoying the refreshing pool. While sitting around, sharing stories, and catching up, my aunt turned and asked, “Lauren, what are you going to do when you graduate?” This is a question so simple. But it’s so difficult for me to answer.
As I grabbed for a potato chip and overloaded it in dip, I pondered the question. Typically this would be answered with the regular response of going off to college and becoming a teacher or doctor. But this is not my response.
Growing up as a child of professional ballroom dance stars I have been encouraged to follow in their footsteps. They want me to become a professional ballroom dancer, open my own studio, and make them proud. That is what my sister did. That is what my brother did. But that is not what I will do.
I’ve enjoyed writing, but after taking creative writing, advanced composition, and journalism, I found my passion.
I could accept a job at a dance studio after I graduate High School, but that would be too easy and settling for less. Instead of taking the job and forgetting my dream of becoming a successful journalist, I chose to make my own footsteps. Even though college will be difficult and achieving my dream will be challenging, It will be worth it. It will be mine. I will make my parents proud. By not becoming what they want me to be, but by becoming what I want to be.