Influence of Atticus Finch | Teen Ink

Influence of Atticus Finch

Throughout our lives, we are influenced and taught by many. It can have an effect on the way we view problems and events. We can be influenced by anyone, such as a family member, friend, teacher, or a fictional character. Atticus Finch, one of the main characters in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, was a person who showed and taught me a lot.

Atticus Finch was a man who fought for what he believed in. He always stood up for what was right, not what was popular believing that success was not just winning, but instead trying to fight for a good cause. This showed me that winning is not the only measure of accomplishment. Even if you failed, Atticus believed you were successful. Atticus once said that you should still fight even when you know you’re beaten. He didn’t just go with the popular opinion that blacks were bad. Instead, he gathered up his courage and fought against the court. This was a big pointer for me and one of the major influences, not just because I want to become a lawyer in the future like him. This showed me that with courage you can achieve a lot, and to never lose your self-confidence. Many people think that if you lose a battle then you were not successful and I do admit that I am one of these people. When I lose, I feel very discouraged. Atticus did not think this. He believed that being successful was only to try to do something for a good cause. Even if you lose what you were fighting for, you are still successful because you fought for what you thought was right. This was what touched me and taught me to never feel inferior when I lose.

Atticus did not believe in racism. He had raised his kids to feel the same way. He taught them that everyone was equal. Atticus noted how in the court there was no way for a black man to win against a white man when it’s the white man who gets to decide what happens. No matter how good of a case Atticus gave the jury, it was still racism that came out on top. He was always for equality. He believed that all men were created equal and blacks shouldn’t be treated badly. Here, Atticus taught me that equality comes first. For example, today people of many different religions and backgrounds are friendly to each other. For instance, there are different students of various backgrounds in a classroom. This promotes diversity, which is the only thing that can combat racism. People of these different backgrounds today contribute so much to the world they live in. I believe nobody should be deprived of their rights no matter what their gender, background, or religion is. Even though the jury and judge were against Atticus, he still fought and tried which showed me that you should never give up fighting for what you think is right.

Family was always something that Atticus took pride in. He loved his family with all his heart and would do anything for them. Atticus believed that he was a failure as a father sometimes. He tried very hard to be a good one but always seemed to think he could have been better .Atticus would put family first before anything else. I love my family very much and my parents put a lot of time and effort into raising me to become someone who would never give up on something that's important to me. They taught me priceless lessons like tying my shoelaces, making my bed, how to use silverware, and so on. They have made a great impact on my life. My father is quite similar to Atticus. When he sees or hears something wrong, he speaks out. He always tells me not to give up when I think I won’t be able to achieve something and always tells me to do my best at school every day. He gives a lot of motivation, and encourages me not to back down. I am a very shy person and he reminds me to speak up and not to be hesitant when speaking.

Atticus Finch was a successful and courageous man who did not believe in racism, teaching his family that equality always comes first. He taught me so much throughout the book, like how to make myself stronger however circumstances would become and to never give up, fight hard for the truth, and don’t ever lose your self-esteem to any negativity occurring. When I enter college, I will be more than happy to share my opinion and listen to the opinions of others. I will contribute whatever I can as I bring my confidence, work ethic, and will-power to every aspect of my life.

14312 BRONZE said...
14312 BRONZE, Germantown, Maryland

When duty falls, it falls to you

It is quite clear this piece was written before the 2015 release of 'Go Set a Watchman', a follow-up to TKAMB. The book had been heavily criticized for reversing Finch's character, which sees him oppose the outcome of Brown v Board of Education, desegregation, and the Civil Rights Movement. His daughter, Scout, is horrified at what Finch has become and leaves her family behind to become her own person.

If anything, this piece makes Finch look even worse as the author positively covers his dedication to perceived 'injustices' and his work to reverse them. In this context, that would also praise his pro-segregation work.

...you might need another character to idolize. lol

mindless_dreaming BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

"May make my heart as a millstone, set my face as a flint, Cheat and be cheated, and die: who knows? We are ashes and we are dust." -Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 'Maud'

i really like this article and agree with all of your points! good job :)

This essay uses a lot of generalities. One should have focused on a specific attribute of Atticus Finch and then shown a connection to the writer. It was lengthy, slightly boring, and an "I, me" essay. Overall a solid essay, but some work would get it to be great.

smileitsallyoucando BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina
Atticus Finch was a great man!