Prepare yourself for what’s ahead | Teen Ink

Prepare yourself for what’s ahead

January 17, 2008
By Anonymous

When I was young, I was always daddy’s little girl. I wanted to be just like him. I even wanted to own my own golf course like he does. I would spend as much time with him as I possibly could. He was at the golf course or I was at school so we were not able spend as much time with each other. When ever we were together he would teach me boxing or hockey. Now that I have grown up a little I realize that being just like my father is not the best thing for me. Even though we are still spend a lot of time together, we are mostly talking about my future schooling and what I am going to do for the rest of my life. Because I always had this plan to be just like him I never really gave my future much thought, and I never really prepared for what was to come.

Once you become a senior in high school people start to ask you the same question; “So what are your plans for next year?” At first you just brush it off with an, “I don’t know,” but eventually you really do have to give it some thought. It is a scary thought I know I’m making the same decisions myself. Trying to figure out what career you want and if it is good enough to last you a lifetime.

Collage is a completely different environment than your high school. When you are in high school it is like you are living in a bubble. You are always protected by adults, who are always telling you what to do. Than when you enter the collage atmosphere everything you have known is turned completely upside down. Most of my friends have already graduated and every single one of them has said that it is completely different than going to high school.

When you are in high school you are just starting to figure out who you are and whether or not you like the person you have become. High school has everything, whole package, you have teen drama that no one wants to deal with but everyone creates, little side jobs that kids think is the most important thing in the world, and the few (or many depending on the person) relationships that you go through which creates about 99% of all the drama. Throughout your entire high school career you will always have someone to fall back on, who will be there to fix whatever you messed up.

After you have gone through all of the pointless high school drama, you finally graduated, and you think you are done with school and from now on it will be easy; if you are thinking this you are completely wrong. Once you get accepted to the best collage for you and you have a rough idea of what you think you might do with the rest of your life, it just gets harder. True you might not have to wake up at 6:00 in the morning (than again you don’t even have to go to class at all, if you want to do really badly your first year), but you will have more homework than you have ever had in you life. you will have more responsibility than ever; you will have bills to pay, student loans to attempt to pay, all of the homework your professors give you, plus what ever job you managed to get to help pay for everything.

My friends tell me that no matter what you do with your life there will always be hard time that you go through, but if you learn to manage yourself you can get through them as easily as possible. The only way you can prepare yourself for the future is to learn as much about it as possible and to always have your friends there to help you get through it all.