The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of College Dorms | Teen Ink

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of College Dorms

Between the screaming and cheering of the Mario-Cart tournament going on next door, the music from the soccer team on the floor below, and a crowded, yet very loud, football game (being played with a mini football from a GHS game) going on in the hallway, it seems like it would be impossible for someone to get any rest in this college dorm.

Most seniors graduate from high school with excitement to be on their own and moving into college, but some will be surprised as to what dorm life is really like. Ryan, a freshman at Knox College claimed I donÕt mind the noise so much, but its kind of annoying when I come up to my room to take a quick nap and I find ten people in itÓ. Just from visiting Knox College, I have learned that if your door is open, that means everyone can come in, and if its closed, they will probably knock until you let them come in anyways. Although starting college can be quite nerve wrecking, thereÕs no need to worry about how you are going to meet other people. Knox College is very successful at creating ways for students to meet each other and hosting activities so that everyone can be comfortable by the time classes start. College is a completely different environment than high school and that is probably a good thing. People here are really nice and accepting. In high school everyone has their little cliques and thatÕs just how it is, but here I can introduce myself to someone completely different from myself and IÕm not looked down upon for doing itÓ he stated.
I have become close to people here who in high school, I never would have talked to,Ó added Brett, also a freshman at Knox, who plays with Ryan on the football team. The football team had to arrive on Aug 13 (almost a month before the rest of the students arrived). Move in day was long and scorching hot, and to add to the heat, the guys had to move in all of their belongings to the third floor of the stuffy dorm, which wasnÕt exactly close to the nearest parking spot.

No one was unpacking their blankets or comforters and after one player had soaked through his shirt with sweat, he questioned his idea of majoring in Environmental Science. Being on a college athletic team means you wont have much free time. Breakfast is at 7 a.m., the first practice is from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., lunch is at noon, a team meeting at 2 p.m., a second practice from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., another meeting at 7 p.m., then we are finally dismissed at 8 p.m.,Ó remarked Daley. With this hectic schedule, most players just want to go to their dorms to try and get rest for the next day. He says there are aspects he really likes about college but others he dislikes. I have no curfew! IÕm finally able to go wherever I want, whenever I want. ThatÕs pretty sweet,Ó said Daley, but the one thing that I really donÕt like is that we arenÕt allowed to have bring air conditioners. It gets SO hot in my room and my fan just doesnÕt do it.Ó He decided that even though heÕs so busy, he made a good decision to attend Knox College and live in the dorms. He said he really likes the people here and the atmosphere but wishes he had been a little closer to his Iowa home. College is a big part of every young adults life and all students want to make it the best. So to any seniors who are going to live in dorms next year Larson says, Have an idea of what you want to major in so you arenÕt wasting classes, have an open mind when you go so you can meet lots of new people, and bring a fan! NoÉscratch that. Bring two fans.Ó