Colour and Symphony | Teen Ink

Colour and Symphony

By Devayan BRONZE, Gurgaon, Other
Devayan BRONZE, Gurgaon, Other

Imagine a clump of trees standing forlorn and withered, devoid of fruits, flowers and leaves. It will be reduced to mere skeletal branches, drab and uninteresting. Likewise, if our lives are crammed with work; congested with activities from morn to night - gaining knowledge and experience, maintaining health and hearth, earning subsistence; at the end of the day, our body and mind will be totally exhausted. Mundane chores wipe out the joy of life and make our lives rigorous and robotic. However, a sprinkling of music and art can be life-transforming. A dash of colour, a lilting note of music can turn a grey life into a happy colourful one. As Pablo Picasso rightly said: Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. The language of music and art transcends all political and social boundaries. It appeals to the heart and the senses and ushers in a a wave of joyfulness. It destroys barriers of this problem-ridden world and brings people together, irrespective of their background and history. Who wouldn't like to wonder at Mona Lisa's smile, Michelangelo's David, and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony? Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate silence. It's a remedy for every ailment.

I am a student from India, currently stuck in the void between the school where I spent all my childhood and finding a college to nurture my career interest and passion in medicine and zoology. This is the first article I am publishing on this platform. I had written the article a year ago but in the various pressures that continuous examinations of the final 12th year bring, I could not find a time to publish it. Now that I am a free bird I can finally do that which I could not and follow my hobby of writing.

This article is my opinion on why we should incorporate art and music in our everyday lives. I myself am a guitarist and pianist and exams left me distressed, not giving me time to play the instruments I loved; this stressed me out. The moment I sat down and played a piece or two, all the stress was immediately released like dam floodgates opening. This realization inspired my article. I hope my article succeeds in inspiring at least some of its readers to follow a hobby of art or music. It is truly life changing.