EVOLUTION OF FOOTBALL | Teen Ink

EVOLUTION OF FOOTBALL

Author's note:

I am a student, in grade 10, football is my passion I have been playing it since I was three years old. I love the sport not only because it is fun to play, and entertaining to watch, but also because it unites people, in ways I feel other sports cannot, due to these reasons I have written on this topic as I wanted to share my knowledge with todays young readers, and minds, not only for them to learn about football, but to learn about life through football.

The first few sports, that had been played include wrestling, and boxing, although it is impossible to know whether, that is true, or not. Various competitions would also take place, but mainly in running, this was also, one of the first few sports, along with wrestling, and boxing, that have been recorded. Their were also other competitive sports like hitting, kicking, hitting a ball like object, also hunting, and throwing, were also said to have been competitive. Later on canoeing, and horse riding, also became competitive sports. Then when militaries were formed, they had military activities like archery, in which soldiers used to compete against each other.

Later on at the first recorded Olympic Games in 760 BC, there was only one event a footrace. Then later on games like wrestling, boxing, equestrian(horse riding), discus and javelin throws, and jumping was integrated into the Olympic Games.

Neolithic art, was said to have been found in the cave of swimmers in Wadu Sura, near Gilf Kebir, in Libya which proved that swimming competitions also used to take place. Discoveries in Egypt, were also made which dated back to 2000 BC, which showed evidence, of weightlifting, long jump, fishing, athletics. Also in Ancient Greece bullfighting, bull-leaping, and gymnastics took place. The Iliad shows that funeral games were also held,for dead warriors, like the one for Patroclus by Achilles.  

In the middle ages, in England, Shrovetide Football was played, which was basically lawless football. Then in the 16th century, cricket was invented, it

3

came from South- East England, and then it was later exposed to commonwealth countries like India, Pakistan, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, and West Indies, and now it is the second most viewed sport, with 2.5 billion fans.

Then in the United States Of America, hunting became extremely popular, in the colonial era, along with horse riding. Then in slave plantations wrestling, boxing, racing, hunting, and fishing was practised. Then during the 1930s, there was a new deal between 1933-39, which boosted there facilities, in the cities, and rural areas. Due to there past deals, currently America has won 2,522 summer medals, and they have hosted 8 Olympic Games. They have also won 281 winter medals, in which currently they are second only to Norway.

Football, originally dates back to Egypt in 2500 B.C., although there is no concrete evidence. But the first real match was said to have been played in China, although during that time they called it Tsu-Chu, in which soldiers kicked a leather ball bound by feather into the net. Then around 500- 600 A.D., japan also created a version of football called kemari, although it was not as competitive a sport as there Chinese counterparts. Other versions of football include Harpastum, which was played in Rome, and Episkyros which was played in Greece.

But then football was later rediscovered, and revived in the 9th century, but then later on in the 19th century it was reorganized, and cleaned up. Although some people did play really violent football, which was called mob football, in which the only rules were that no manslaughter, or murder should take place, and even the use of hands were allowed. Mob football, became increasingly famous in the 14th, and 15th century, due to that a lot of people were injured, sometimes even killed, which caused many rulers to ban mob football.

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

In England, a lot of “public” schools, which were actually private, started really enjoying football, and they standardized football. Though unlike mob football, it was made much safer, so nobody, would get hurt or injured. So for them to really enforce these rules, several major public schools created the FA, which formalized, and standardized the rules of football. Later on in 1869 the FA officially banned the use of hands, after this rule football started growing rapidly, not only in England, but throughout the world.

THE GROWTH OF FOOTBALL

Football originally, started growing through other British countries like Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. With the first international game, England vs Scotland, being held in 1872, which was held in Scotland. The first professional league being founded in 1888, in England. Then soon the FA spread across to New Zealand, and South America, and other european countries.

IFAB-INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION BOARD

IFAB, was originally established in 1886, and it was given the responsibility for implementing, and executing, the rules and regulations of international football. IFAB is actually made up of four football associations(England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland) and FIFA. IFABs rules kept evolving, and soon penalties, referees, free kicks, and corner kicks, were created. By 1938, all of IFABs rules had been modernized. Then IFAB rewrote all the laws, again in 1997. In 2014 IFAB officially became a independent organization, it currently has its headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, and the secretary is Lukas Brud. During the year of 2016-17 IFAB had a huge law book overhaul, for the future football.

“PROFESSIONAL” FOOTBALLERS

Between 1800-1900, football evolved a lot, amateurs were not hired, by football clubs, only “professional players” were hired, and were given contracts. After that competitions like the FA cup were formed.

Football later did take major dip during the world wars, as a lot of “Professional” footballers were enlisted, in the military, or intelligence agencies, as they were fit, and deployable. Also travelling to other places, was not easy, due to the war, which was also one of the reasons, football hit a low.

FIFA-The Fédération Internationale de Football Association

FIFA, is the overseer of the world wide game. It’s currently the organization responsible for organizing major tournaments like the men’s world cup, which was founded in 1930. Then later in 1991, the Women's World Cup was formed. FIFA, is actually only responsible for European countries, but then in 1909, it expanded its membership to South Africa, then Argentina in 1912, and the United States, in 1913.

Football today, is being played in more than 200 countries, and 250+ million players are involved. Football has also started using technology to its advantage, with football coming out with new technological advancements like VAR(Video Assistant referee), and goal line technology. Now football has also become virtual, which allows, disabled people, or people who cannot play football for some reason, virtual football. It is called FIFA, it is the most famous football game, it is played on devices like ps4, and xbox one. The first fifa game was released in 1993, and it is still growing, and now the market is more than ever.

TECHNOLOGY IN FOOTBALL

In modern day football, sometimes the referees tend to miss certain things, due to that reason technology is being used to help, and support the referees. Goal line technology, is used to help the referee in whether the ball has crossed the line, which is basically if the ball has gone beneath the crossbar and between the goal-posts. Their is also VAR(Video Assistant Referee) which is basically, an assistant referee, which reviews the decision made by the head referee, with the use of video footage, and a headset for communication with the officials in charge of the VAR. VAR can only been seen on four conditions, first if in case there is a goal scored, and the attacker is offside, or if the attacker gets fouled during the build up play.

Second, in case of a penalty decision(other kinds of fouls are not reviewable).Third, in case of red card decisions(second yellow cards, are not reviewable). Fourth, is in case of a mistaken identity, basically if the wrong person is given the red, yellow card.

5000-300 B.C.-The Chinese game of Tsu-Chu was played.

2500 B.C.-In Egypt, young woman played something like football, during the age of Baqet 3.

1000 B.C.-Japanese version of soccer, called Kemari was invented,and played.

B.C.-In ancient Greece, a game called Episkyros was played.

50 B.C.-China’s Tsu-Chu players, and Japan’s Kemari players, had there first international game. Though this is not 100% confirmed, it is certain thought that they had a match in 611 A.D.

600-1600 A.D.-In Mexico, and Central America rubber ball was created.

700s-The first football game played between the locals of East-England.

1331-King Edward the third banned mob football.

1424-King James 1, banned mob football, in Scotland.

1500-In Italy they played a game called “Calcio” with teams of 27+ people.

1600- Football became legal in England.

1805-Eton college of England, established a set of rules for football.

1820-Football was played in North-Eastern American universities like Harvard, Princeton,Amherst, and brown.

13

1848-New rules by schools, and colleges were adopted, called the Cambridge rules.

1862-First football club outside Britain, was formed called Oneida Football Club, in Boston, USA.

1863-The FA was formed.

1883-IFAB was formed

1885- First match outside of Great Britain was played, which was between  USA, and Canada, with Canada winning 1-0.

1888-Penalty kick was introduced

1900-Soccer players were at the Olympic games fo the first time.

1904-FIFA was established, by delegates from France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

1930-FIFA held the first world cup tournament in Montevideo, Uruguay, with 13 teams.

1932-Football was taken out of the Olympic Games, because of controversy between IOC, and FIFA.

1991-First Women's world cup was held in China, which was won by the United States.

1996-The American women's team, won the first women's olympic football event.

HOW DOES FOOTBALL BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER

I would like to conclude, my book by talking about the different ways, in which football brings, the world, and different kinds of people together.

During the world cup, fans come together to support their country, it does not matter what kind caste, religion, race, gender, they are. The world cup also manages to ease political tension between countries. For example, Iran’s supreme leader at the time, Khemani, did not allow his players to shake hands with the American players, even though it is protocol. But FIFA adjusted, and there was an agreement so the American players, went and shook hands, with the Iranian players. Also in that match FIFA informed the camera men that seven thousand tickets were bought by an Iranian terrorist organization, and told them to avoid taking their cameras in those areas, hence the terrorist organizations was completely ignored,and the match went on smoothly. None of the political tension, got to the players, and the Iranian players, gave the American players, a bouquet of flowers,and they were standing with their arms locked around each other. This was a extremely rare site to see in football, forget between two countries that despise each other. Another example in 2006 Ivory Coast qualified for the world cup, and during that time there was a civil war in Ivory Coast, and a respected, extraordinary played Didier Drogba, begged both sided to stop fighting. He wanted to show Ivory Coast, that a team with different people, with different cultural, and ethnic backgrounds came together, and were successful. After that the civil war in Ivory Coast, came to an end.