House on Anderson Street | Teen Ink

House on Anderson Street

By Jonathan209, Stockton, California
Jonathan209, Stockton, California

Tis the life of Jonathan Figueroa in the neighborhood of Stockton, California. Growing up there was a pleasure for me as i seen things i’ve never seen before. I was raised there since age 10. The street is Anderson Street a good one at that. I would go out everyday and play basketball outside either by myself or with neighbors that later became friends and brothers. I would dominate them when we played games against each other .

At the end of day when it would get dark that’s when their parents would come out and tell them to go inside. That would be a buzzkill most of the time and school the next morning which would suck until friday came about which would be the best.  We would stay out late on weekends and continue to play outside playing basketball or football. Always finding a way to be entertained and not get bored.

When we got hungry or thirsty we would go to the corner store down the street always. Whoever had the most money would pay for everyone’s drink or chips. The days of no stress I would say.

The great one in my family is my grandfather he has done the most for the whole family. He came from  Mexico to San Francisco to find a job so he could bring the rest of the family here to Stockton. My mother and two uncles and 1 aunt stayed with my grandma in Mexico waiting for my grandpa to get on his feet to bring the family to Stockton. He first got to  San Francisco and looked for jobs daily.

Looking for jobs daily found himself one as my grandmothers brothers opened up a Tortilla Factory where my grandpa got a job to work. He was offered from my uncles and he took the job. I look up to him because of the fact he did this to bring the family and if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be here or anybody in my family.  

He brought the family here to Stockton as he found a house. That house is the same house my grandparents still live in til this day.

Life in east side stockton was cool my whole life i grew up seeing things happen. I saw my uncle get beat up by police and dogs as a toddler. Seeing things like this didn’t haunt me but instead gave me knowledge of what not do.

Growing up here my cousin and I two years apart always played video games and watched movies. We always watched either Fast and the Furious or Spiderman those were our favorite. Spiderman wouldn’t be without Stan Lee and I wouldn’t be able to watch the movie if the character wasn’t created. Watchings movies and playing games did make my childhood fun and not boring.

When I got older I did stay after school at the park next to my school to play basketball and use computers. This would become an everyday thing after school and then again come back later to play basketball with my friends. This really shaped me growing up because I was fat and because I went daily and played games I lost weight and grew.