He's Gone | Teen Ink

He's Gone

By Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

I never thought I would die young. I always thought I would at least make it to twenty-one. Then I could drink legally. Now that dream was crushed. I would never get my driver’s license or even work my first job. I would never graduate with my friends. This was it. What I had done in the last fifteen years is my life story. I know it’s not very much but at least I got to live this long right? I took another breath. “It’s time.” I say to the doctor. He nods and turns to the machinery to turn it off. I turn towards my mom. She’s in tears, begging me to try. I shake my head and with one of my last limited breaths, tell her I love her and to tell my brother that I love him too. She nods, tears streaming down her face, making her makeup smear. She grabs my hand and puts her face on my chest. I feel her tears through the thin hospital gown. I stroke her hair gently. Finally I don’t hear the hum of the machine and I know it’s off. I take one last deep breath before laying back and closing my eyes. Soon it will all be over.
His chest wasn’t moving up and down I knew he was gone. A sob rose in my chest but I pushed it down. I needed to be strong. I sat up and removed his hand from my hair. I kissed his cheek and left before the doctor could put the sheet over his face. That’s not how I wanted to remember him. Everyone gives me a sad look as I walk through the hall to the elevator. I ignore them and just go. I’m able to make it to my car without crying. Once I get in and see his book, I can’t take it and tears gush out like a waterfall. I don’t know how long I sat there crying but soon I didn’t have enough liquid in my body to cry. I started my car and drove to my house to tell everyone the news.

I could tell something was wrong the moment my mom walked through the door. Her makeup was smeared, her outfit wrinkled, and her hair was a tangled mess. I had never seen her like that. She was a woman who cared very much for her look. “What’s wrong?” I asked rushing over fearing the worst. “He’s gone.” She said in an empty hollow way. I just stared at her. Gone? My brother could not be gone. “Is he okay?” I asked. She shook her head and pulled me into a hug. I thought she would cry, but she didn’t. I did though. My brother was my best friend and losing him was like losing half of myself. My tears stained her blouse but for once she didn’t care. She just pulled me tighter. “Mom, he can’t be gone.” I said over and over in her ear. She just nodded and rubbed my back soothingly. It was too late though, I could never be soothed again.

kelseyg343 BRONZE, Rensselaer, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is a really good story. :)